I hope you all had a great Christmas and New Year! My holiday was filled with family around the tree on Christmas Day, it was an amazing time, I am truly blessed and thankful.
As we move into 2023 I wanted to share some “to do’s” with you. If your going to make 2023 an amazing year professionally networking and participating in industry events, association’s and groups is important as is embracing new products and services that will make you and your company better.
- If you have not already – Join the Private Truck Council of Canada (PMTC), if your in the trucking industry and your not a member you should consider joining. In my opinion in Canada there is not an association that will bring your company more value and bang for your buck. PMTC is not just for Private Fleets, a number of For-Hire and Truckload fleets are members. The annual conference in June is in Hamilton this year and it always sells out, there golf tournaments are outstanding, food, prizes, networking opportunities are unlimited.
- Attend the annual TCA Convention in Orlando in March. Simply put this is the best trucking conference for Truckload Carriers, suppliers and vendors on the planet. I have not missed in decades and there is always something to bring back to your company to make it better. We have been a member of TCA a long time, they are a phenomenal organization run by amazing people. Beware, once you go to a TCA event you will want to join this great organization.
- Attend the National Recruiting & Retention Symposium in Brampton at Lionhead Golf and Conference Center, April 26th/27th. Educational, affordable and the speakers, panelists and moderators are the who’s who of trucking, industry experts, people who have been there and done it sharing their knowledge and expertise.
- ExpoCam is in May this year in Quebec, May 25th – 27th. Newcom bills it as “The meeting place for Canada’s Trucking Industry” and it is. If you want to see all the mover and shakers under one roof this is it! Products, services, recruiting, technology, it will all be there.
- Get involved with Truckers Against Trafficking. This is a North American organization with a strong Canadian presence, year to date they have trained and certified over 17,000 industry people on human trafficking. Make it a goal in 2023 to get yourself and your company involved, most importantly get certified, it’s on line, it won’t take long and your doing something good for you, your family, your industry, the public and your community.
- Embrace more technology to improve your business, one company that are game changers in my opinion when it comes to managing your drivers lifecycle is Tenstreet. They are a North American company technology company that connects drivers and carriers; fill your trucks,manage your compliance and get your life back is how Tenstreet gives their elevator pitch. I would suggest they are much more than that. They have also integrated with ISB Global so everything ISB does for you like driver record searches and criminal checks, background screening is all integrated. What an engine to have at your fingertips.
I hope you have an incredible 2023!