As I researched my article for this month’s blog I can’t help but realize that a lot of us (me included) do not take enough time for the most important person, yourself.
In this fast-paced society and trying to keep up with the “Jones” we often forget what is most important, “me time” and family time. I have spoken to friends about what they do each day for themselves several tell me stories about family time and stories about their kids but not many were able to answer the question, “What do you do to relax and have me time”? Some say, “Easier said than done”. You are right it is easier said than done but part of living a healthy life is having a healthy mindset.
Here are a few different ways experts say can help you find me time:
- Set Goals – Figure out why you want more free time. You can’t win a game you haven’t defined.
- Allocate “Alone Time” in your schedule – Depending on your lifestyle and your schedule the time may very but you should take 30 minutes a day for alone time and do something that makes you happy and releases stress and tension.
- Delegate your tasks – If you are not getting enough help from your spouse and children, then you need to approach them. You should tell them you’re physically and emotionally overwhelmed with all the responsibilities and obligations. You should also find people at your work that can contribute more and lend you a hand.
- Limit Work Hours – There are work assignments, deadlines and other factors that keep us at work later than we should be, but you need to have a “Hard Stop Time”, this is the time that you must stop and resume your work another day.
- Don’t Be Afraid to Say NO- I will admit this is a tough one for me but I am getting better at saying no. Many people can’t say no to others’ requests, even if it means that they need to sacrifice their time. However, it often means that they do it at the expense of their own physical and mental health.
- Put Down the Electronics – It is easy to be sucked into a social media app or television shows for hours. You may enjoy these activities, but they can also consume all your free time.
Now that you have your,” Me Time”, what are you going to do with it?
- Get Exercising – this is a great way to relieve stress and get healthy at the same time.
- Start doing something you have been putting off – I have a friend who recently took up painting. This is their way to escape into a world that only they have the key for.
- Read a book, do crossword puzzles but be by yourself. It’s tough to have alone time when you are not alone when you have a spouse or child constantly asking you things, this is, “Me Time” remember?
The key to your, Me Time” is to make yourself a priority, it’s not selfish, it’s necessary. Remember that there is only one you and you need to release some of the stresses in your life and do things that make you happy. If you neglect to make time for yourself or take care of your needs, you will eventually fail in every other role you have. The most important time in the world is the time you make for yourself.
I leave you with this,
Work Hard, but make time for yourself, your friends and your loved ones. No one remembers your presentations during your funeral.
Be Great! Be Safe!