Increase Productivity, Profits, and Your Own Prosperity
Without a doubt one of my all time favourite books that I have read is Gong Ho by Ken Blanchard and Sheldon Bowles. I have read this book many times and its save to say I love it! I have mentioned before that I believe I cheated myself in my formal education so I read books that will help make a difference in my life. This book also brings me back to my roots which are very important to me. I have been raised and proudly live with my family in Caledonia, Ontario. The same community as my dad was raised as well as my grandpa and many of the Richardson clan. Caledonia is a terrific community with one of Ontario longest river’s (The Grand River) running through it. Part of our community is Six Nations Reserve and our neighbouring town of Ohsweken which I am proud to be part of, both personally and professionally.
The book Gung Ho is a fable about Andy Longclaw, an aboriginal master mind who help save 1500 jobs. Today, Aboriginal North American’s are running banks and hospitals, designing computers, teaching in colleges and universities. They own operate thousands upon thousands of successful businesses. It is refreshing to see a life and business book finally catching up with reality. This book is about “team”, something I am huge a believer in. The book will show you in three easy steps how to release the energy and enthusiasm and how to energize your whole team and focus on success.
One of my favourite parts of the books is learning about worthwhile work;
– knowing we make the world a better place. It is the understanding, not the work. Its how the work helps others, not units or volumes dealt with.
– at the end it isn’t all about the result? Isn’t it about self esteem? Self esteem is an emotion that ranks right up there with love and hate.
– if your going to succeed you all better be working towards a shared goal. Goal sharing means buy in, not announcing. Trust of your team is critical. From my perspective, If I can’t trust you I cannot work (or play) with you. Trust and putting team members first lead to support for goals.
– goals are really marker posts you drive into the future landscape between where you are and where you want to be. Goals focus on attention and productively.
I believe your values guide all of your plans, decisions and actions. At KRTS “our core value is people”. We keep it easy for our associates and clients and refer to our core value when we make our decisions and apply our actions.
-goals are for the future. Values are now. Goals are set. Values are driven. Goals change. Values are rocks and you can count on them. Goals get people going. Values sustain the effort.
– Values become real only when you demonstrate them in the way you act and the way you insist others behave.
I really don’t like being called the boss-your company (and personal) values are the real boss. Makes sense doesn’t it. So pick up Gung Ho, it will increase productivity, profits and your own prosperity.
I hope your enjoying the new look of The Rear view Mirror and your summer is everything you want it to be.